Accept of cookies from uses cookies for various purposes – for example to improve user experience of the site

Case processing

In most cases, the National Board of Industrial Injuries receives the request from the insurance company. The insurance company usually forwards the documents of the case, and the medical information is usually available when we receive the case. The National Board of Industrial Injuries makes an independent assessment, however, as to the adequacy of the information of the case. Before making a statement, the Board is responsible for the availability of sufficient information. Therefore, the injured person is often asked to sign a consent form so that we may collect additional information.

For the assessment of permanent injury and maximum medical improvement, we typically collect medical certificates and medical records from hospitals and general practitioners.

Once there is sufficient medical information on the case, the decision maker submits it to the Board's medical consultant with a view to determining the permanent injury and the maximum medical improvement. The medical consultant makes a recommendation. The Board employs medical consultants of varying specialities, such as neurology, orthopaedic surgery, general medicine, eye diseases, and psychiatry.

As for the assessment of the occupational situation before and after the accident, we often collect information from the tax authorities, the social and health authorities, the employer, and the injured person. If it pertains to a self-employed earner, the case will often be submitted to the Board's auditor for a discussion of accounts.

Once there is sufficient information available of the injured person's earning capacity and income situation before and after the accident, the decision maker writes a recommendation for loss of earning capacity. Often the case will subsequently be submitted to a meeting attended by several decision makers. In this meeting the percentage of loss of earning capacity is determined, and the decision maker then writes a statement in the case.

In private compensation cases the parties are not heard before we make a statement, i.e., the parties are not asked if they want to comment on the information of the case before the statement is sent. The parties are entitled, however, to ask for a copy of the documents of the case and may send their comments to the Board.

This page was last modified on 29. maj 2006